Friday, 2 May 2014

Update on Bear Game

So I worked on some story boards for the animated introduction of the Neb Bear game, as well as the moral choice side to the game. I'm thinking it would be something like- you can either save the planet from the polluted clouds or save Emily from the evil snails. This might sound a bit random but that's just how I roll.

There maybe a neutral ending for players who do exceptionally well at stopping both the snails and and clouds. As for Emily as a character, I asked around and more people said she just looks cute than a weird sexy furry character, which is good! Might do some different clothing concepts for her so she's not topless, just to clear that image all together, but then again people who think like that would still think like that regardless. Being shirtless just makes it easier for them I guess? Whatever, I think she looks fine.

While drawing the storyboards I had a sudden change to Emily's character.
There was a brief moment when the idea of making her blind hit me and honestly I think it works very well for her character. It makes it more reasonable that she would be a defenceless damsel, but also adds an element of empathy for her character. My heart just melted when that idea was illustrated in the storyboards and I think I'm gonna stick with it. Here are the storyboards I managed to get done;




From the storyboard, people I asked didn't get that she was blind from pure illustration.
It just appeared as though she was checking if he was okay, like ''what happened to your face?!'' type thing..
I guess it's the eyes, they need to be more obvious that she's blind, so how do I do that?
RESEARCH!

SNOW DROP

Snow drop is an original character based of the series My Little Pony: FiM.
She stars in a self titled animation by a team of animators and artists at Silly Filly Studios, all professional animators I would assume, who have created this youtube page as a side project.
Their animation Snow Drop is about a blind pegasus pony named Snow Drop who finds a way to extract the wishes out of snow flakes.. or something? I'm not sure, but it was a cute little story and it made me cry a little bit :'J

Snow Drops eyes are a light blue tone which makes them appear sort of faded and glazed, this does illustrate her blindness quite well compared to the other ponies who have more depth in their eye colour.



I played around with different ideas to make eyes look blind-ish, however I think Snow Drops eyes are the best way to illustrate blindness but still retain a characters cuteness.. only thing I'm conserned about regarding Emily is her hair colour, which I may have to make a little darker as not to over compliment the eye colour.



This is a sketch of Emily with her light blue Snow Drop coloured eyes and a dungaree.
I used this image as a reference;
I think she looks very cute in these and this style does seem to delete any pervy furry images from the character. I will ask around to get peoples reactions on both styles, but to be honest I still kind of like the first design, however I am warming to the Dungarees.

I think that may do me for the day as it is now 10PM.
Tomorrow I will be doing more research regarding game engines and perhaps even some sprite work.

I did get some sprite work done for Emily today however I'm not really digging it..


 I started by just recolouring the original Neb sprite and it turned out kind of... shit.


Guess it needs to be more original which means building her up from scratch.. yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment