Guess that means more research... yay.
In Resident Evil, you collect maps thought out the game so that you may navigate to different missions.
My game won't require this type of player map, but it will of course require some sort of blue print for the lay out.
* <- Indicates narration.
+1 and -1 indicate which path you're on. Lets say you get five -1's, you'd get the ''bad'' ending, however 5 +1's get you the positive ending. That kind of thing. Still testing idea this far.
These were various areas around town which I thought might make a sweet wallpaper for the hall way of this game. If I decided to pick one of these I could move it into photoshop and play around with the settings and position to see what might work. I tried to photograph the hallway walls in the hospital, however I was denied access without permission from a manager.
To side step this issue I googled various images of Hospital hallways to see if there was a pattern people could easily associate to a hospital.
Hospital hallways are generally white neutral with either a tile lower half, or some kind of darker coloured strip to separate the bottom and the centre of the wall, this adds to the designs symmetry.
While searching for images I came across game hospital environments, so perhaps I should look into what games typically associate to hospital wall textures.
Hospital environment in games;
The general feel of hospital environments in video games seems to be half dark-ish wallpaper and half dirty tiles contrasting with the colour of the wallpaper. This is perhaps the more American representation of a Hospital hallway. The left image is from a fps game called Wolfenstein, the right is from a 3rd person game called Silent Hill (plays with very similar elements to Resident Evil).
Using the photographs I've taken I think I could whip something together that resonates a dark hospital hallway. Using photoshop I mashed two of the photos together to test this idea.
Bibliography:
R.E Maps>
http://www.evilresource.com/resident-evil/maps/
http://www.evilresource.com/resident-evil-remake/maps/
http://www.evilresource.com/resident-evil-remake/maps/underground-laboratory/#laboratoryb1
Hospital Hallway>
http://www.news.wisc.edu/newsphotos/images/AFCH_art_hallway08_7903.jpg
http://www.gamer.ru/system/attached_images/images/000/003/130/original/Hospital_Hallway_lrg.jpg
http://static-www.icr.org/i/wide/hospital_hallway_wide.jpg
http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/images//EJ_hallway.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiXUcrhZfiHsC7dYPbH8rnD3SPejvIUEgY6tuTSvdyPES_xlpOZIahFDteTmaGvkkvW45PFvXTQr3-Ur9Fv1mjeAWztulsnH3g_mAEUtQK6Vmc5mNWAjc-RyuXMPn_vZHbeXJyPZ1KrWwQ/s1600/austin_birth_photographer_01.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3076/2625020784_9297dae898.jpg
http://www.trashmutant.com/uploads/1/0/9/8/10984559/6486430_orig.jpg?0
MAP
My game won't require this type of player map, but it will of course require some sort of blue print for the lay out.
When making a game map, it's important to keep things simple. Doors should be separated by colour and other usable objects such as stairs or ladders should be marked understandably.
(Sketched out in log book)
QUESTIONS
- Here is a draft of the narrator's dialogue follow by a rough idea of the questions and their routes.
* <- Indicates narration.
+1 and -1 indicate which path you're on. Lets say you get five -1's, you'd get the ''bad'' ending, however 5 +1's get you the positive ending. That kind of thing. Still testing idea this far.
(Start in room.)
*Wakie wakie (eye
animation flickers and opens)
*That's right, get up.*
(Animation getting out
of bed)
*Welcome.* (player starts
controlling, door locked)
*You're probably
wondering where you are.
Don't worry, you're not
far from where you started.*
*You see, right now
you're taking a journey down your subconscious mind.*
*Your current path has
led you to this simulation which, in even the smallest way, will
effect your perception.*
*Because everything
around you holds a vibration, every emotion you feel and create
continues to exist long after your death. It stays as a constant wave
forever transferring, never leaving existence.. Every choice you make
will contribute to the weight your energy travels with for infinity.
It's up to you, in each
present moment, to understand this factor when making decisions.*
(First question) = *Do
you understand?*
-YES- | -NO-
No = Game over
Yes = Door opening
(dialogue continues)
*Then lets begin..*
(As the player gets so
far down the corridor a trigger plays the next voice clip)
*Now that you understand every action has a variety of consequences, lets find out how you fair against the struggles of everyday life. Each window you pass holds a reflection of these dilemmas.
Answer each question honestly and you shall be freed from this hallway... Maybe.*
Trigger on first window-
Video of a spider running across a bed.
KILL IT! (-1)
Remove it (+1)
Leave it (+1)
FREAK OUT! (-1)
----------------------------
Here I am currently undecided whether to have two choices or 4.
After reviewing the surveys I handed around the art block, each answer boiled down to four categories. I feel giving four options would be more fair, but this may have to be a decision made when more accustomed to the game making process. For now I will assume four options won't be any more of an issue than programming two options.
---------------------------
Next window-
Video of a person you find intimidating sitting at a bus stop crying.
Ask: Hey, you ok? (+1)
Leave Alone (-1)
--------------------------------
Now I'm thinking some questions can be answered using only two options.
Although there are alternative reasons, the out come of each reason would be the same, so I think now the questions will vary from two to four options.
--------------------------------
Next window-
A crisp packet falls on the floor.
Leave it (-1)
Pick it up (+1)
-------
Next window-
You are walking towards a path that splits into two.
The one you are heading for has a homeless man sitting there.
Carry on
Avoid
-----------------------
Now perhaps a continuation of this question. If you choose to walk past the man, do you give him change if he asks you? Depends how difficult this would be to input with the Avoid answer not having the follow up question.
-----------------------
Next window-
ENVIRONMENT
These were various areas around town which I thought might make a sweet wallpaper for the hall way of this game. If I decided to pick one of these I could move it into photoshop and play around with the settings and position to see what might work. I tried to photograph the hallway walls in the hospital, however I was denied access without permission from a manager.
To side step this issue I googled various images of Hospital hallways to see if there was a pattern people could easily associate to a hospital.
Hospital hallways are generally white neutral with either a tile lower half, or some kind of darker coloured strip to separate the bottom and the centre of the wall, this adds to the designs symmetry.
While searching for images I came across game hospital environments, so perhaps I should look into what games typically associate to hospital wall textures.
Hospital environment in games;
It looks more exterior at the moment, but if I can get a photo of say, bathroom tiles or something, then I think I can make this work. Once mashed together I will play around with the contrast and such, see what the effects are like with it, and hopefully end up with a pretty creepy looking wall.
Bibliography:
R.E Maps>
http://www.evilresource.com/resident-evil/maps/
http://www.evilresource.com/resident-evil-remake/maps/
http://www.evilresource.com/resident-evil-remake/maps/underground-laboratory/#laboratoryb1
Hospital Hallway>
http://www.news.wisc.edu/newsphotos/images/AFCH_art_hallway08_7903.jpg
http://www.gamer.ru/system/attached_images/images/000/003/130/original/Hospital_Hallway_lrg.jpg
http://static-www.icr.org/i/wide/hospital_hallway_wide.jpg
http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/images//EJ_hallway.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiXUcrhZfiHsC7dYPbH8rnD3SPejvIUEgY6tuTSvdyPES_xlpOZIahFDteTmaGvkkvW45PFvXTQr3-Ur9Fv1mjeAWztulsnH3g_mAEUtQK6Vmc5mNWAjc-RyuXMPn_vZHbeXJyPZ1KrWwQ/s1600/austin_birth_photographer_01.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3076/2625020784_9297dae898.jpg
http://www.trashmutant.com/uploads/1/0/9/8/10984559/6486430_orig.jpg?0
Other>
http://www.chacha.com/question/did-capcom-make-silent-hill










No comments:
Post a Comment