I sorted out the problem with Vegas;
As I suspect it was the static gif I was using, I reverted to using the static/noise effect in Sony Vegas.
It was a little more work than just using a pre-rendered static image, but it looks a lot better and I was able to export the clips to test. This was done on all 3 video clips during various parts of the scenes.
Sunday- Today I am going to get some basic sounds recorded and finish off that flash animation.
Ideally I want to bring that image of the girl into Photoshop and make her look a bit better, but I can always do this later- we'll see how we are with time and go from there.
EDIT:
To create the sounds needed for the grudge-type girl, I simply created a pacing reference for the static on Audacity (so i made static sounds with my mouth to get the timing right) then edited it that way on Flash, after which I made various Grudge sounds on audacity then transferred those sound bites over to Garage Band on my iPad.
From there the sounds were separated and played in a higher pitch to sound more feminine, a slight echo was added then that file was emailed to myself.
Eventually I tried playing round with the render settings and discovered Flash just didn't like the HQ VBR settings. It was exported as 320 kps CD Transparent audio and that seemed to work, crisis averted.
Now the flash file looks pretty good. I will export it as a png sequence so it can be used in Blender with a transparent background. The sound will have to be exported separately and added onto the clip in Blender after, but that's no big deal.
I think the pacing along with the sounds gives off a good effect, so next I just tweaked some bits in Flash to make it look a bit better;
This frame for example, it's a big wide, I think she looks scarier (or more realistic at first glance) on the first frame (where she's a bit thinner) so I will make the other appearances of this image a similar width and bam! Ready to export.
Going back to my sound research, I adopted the method of thorough singing to get that ending grudge sound vibrating more powerfully. I chose the ghost sound from the grudge as this sound already holds pre-existing memories of the fear this figure can express. In the Grudge, her neck was snapped, this is why she makes that sound. My version of this character looks pretty bashed up, so let's just say her neck is broken also.
The bad ending ghost scene is pretty much finished- I imported the crocking sounds, got the static on time and added something extra to the end- a track called ''Chakra Balancing Meditation music Very Intense'' which I have had stored on my computer for a while and has always, strangely enough, been kept there as I figured it could be useful one day. It releases tones designed to provoke your pineal gland, which ideally I want active during this game as the videos and atmosphere will have more effect on the player.
I emailed the creator of this sound, Dr Nepal, and requested use of his track for this project.
He replied saying I have his permission provided it's not for profit, which it's not so we're cool.
I spend the rest of the day cutting up this track and placing it in each video, using the more intense parts for the decision making and in some of the bad endings. This took a while but I got everything in place along with the static SFX. Tomorrow I will work on finishing off the sounds and hopefully get some time to organize this blog a bit better.
I literally spend the whole day finishing off the sounds for each video. Some sounds were recorded by me, others were outsourced to freesfx.co.uk (which I can use as long as the site is credited in some way).
The sounds downloaded from freesfx were the tap dripping sounds and the door opening sound.
(Tap drip chosen was created by http://www.freesfx.co.uk/users/mckinneysound/)
(Door opening sound chosen created by http://www.freesfx.co.uk/users/sivar/)
The spider sounds were created by me- recording various strum patterns from the very top of a guitars neck.
This was opened in Garage Band and played out in various tones while watching the video to get the timing right. It was given a slight echo effect and imported into Sony Vegas. From Vegas, I slowed some of the sound clips down and reversed others. They all go together very well, it sounds similar to an old horror movie.
The only other sounds used in this video was at the end on the Bad Ending scene.
I couldn't think of what to do, so I just recorded myself saying something random (can't remember what) then slowed it right down and toned down the volume. Now it is slightly reminiscent of the How To Basics videos on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sclBFXCk2K8
This guy is literally the master of cheap weird abstract noises in his even stranger videos.
The whole bad ending scene reminded me of his videos after doing that random sound, so I think I will leave it as it is now. Anything that shows subtle influence from How To Basic videos is going to sound creepy.
As mentioned before the tap sounds were outsourced. I decided to use the sound from freesfx as opposed to making my own simply because I loved how clean this clip sounded. I could have spend ages trying to create a drip as clean as this, but for the sake of simply crediting the author, I'd rather just use the good sound. It's only a tap drip at the end of the day, and most of these ambient sounds are outsourced unless there's something specific you want to create. Same goes for the door opening.
Other ambient sounds however were just left in from the video itself. This clip where Sammy pick up the ring already has the sound from her picking it up, so this part of the videos sound track was split and left in.
Same rule applies for other basic sounds such as this in the other videos.
This scene causes some issues as I had edited the transaction from walking out the door to Christina walking to the sink many times now, however in the end I just zoomed in closer for the good ending, and give the bad ending a slight zoom out. These simple edits really help the scene flow from one shot to another, each complimenting the scenario.
Bad
Good
I wasn't sure how to end the scenes, so they've both been played around with and finally given their own
unique ending. The good ending cuts off when she turns around to walk back out the door. Cutting this scene short and having the shot more zoomed in makes the scene feel less awkward.When Christina starts to say ''oh, where is it'' the clip slows down, then little static flickers were added, after which the intense chakra sound starts to play, ending with another static and a quick click zoomed at the bottom of the door. The last shot was chosen because with the intense noises, the quick flash to the door a jar adds a layer of confusion and subtly gives off the feeling of being watched.
After exporting all the clips I ran into a problem. The videos wern't working! It was only playing the sounds.
I was confused why, but realised I just left the export setting on mp3.. silly me :3
It was rendered as Internet 720p and all works and looks fine!
Bibliography:
How to transfer tracks Garage Band-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enp1AlBFzCc
SFX - http://www.freesfx.co.uk
Water Drips With Large Reverb-
http://www.freesfx.co.uk/users/mckinneysound/
http://www.freesfx.co.uk/sfx/dripping
Water Drips With Large Reverb
door open 2-
http://www.freesfx.co.uk/sfx/door+open?p=5
http://www.freesfx.co.uk/users/sivar/
Music - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iVBWgC_R6E
How to transfer tracks Garage Band-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enp1AlBFzCc
SFX - http://www.freesfx.co.uk
Water Drips With Large Reverb-
http://www.freesfx.co.uk/users/mckinneysound/
http://www.freesfx.co.uk/sfx/dripping
Water Drips With Large Reverb
door open 2-
http://www.freesfx.co.uk/sfx/door+open?p=5
http://www.freesfx.co.uk/users/sivar/
Music - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iVBWgC_R6E

















No comments:
Post a Comment