Thursday, 1 May 2014

Daily Update #2 (Blenders Game Engine Research + Alternative Ideas)

Setting aside the story for a second, I have to decide what game engine to use on this project.
Because I've decided it is going to be a 3D game, I can't really say Game Maker is a realistic option (unless I chose a spite based 3D game such as Sonic 3D or something).



So for my experience with the Blender game maker is limited, so to cover the mechanics I will be looking at different games created using Blender, also tutorials explaining the code and steps.

Here are some different games created using the Blender engine;

DEAD CYBORG

Dead Cyborg is a sci-fi adventure fps (first person shooter) game created using Blender. 
The story is based on the meaning of life and death and is published by episode (about 2-3 hours of game play each). It is an indie game created by just one man, Endre Barath.

The game looks professional which seems impressive for just one artists, but that's not uncommon now given all the wonderful tools to hand. Barath utilized it very well as the whole thing really compliments to potential and abilities of the Blender game engine.

Another example is a 3rd person game called the Art Collector.

ART COLLECTOR

The Art Collector is a 3rd person 3D game create by Alastair Low, developed using Blender.
The game was created for Alastairs honours project.
''The styles are:
-Cartoony ambient occlusion gallery(noodle limbs)
-Pop Art room
-Watercolour forest
-Charcoal train station
-Pen and ink graveyard''

The game runs well and the art style appears quite unique. 
He tested it on the internet during its early stages for feed back and clearly put a lot of time into making it run smoothly. It's a nice example of how varied the game design on Blender can be.

I've checked out a few reviews and the majority seems to agree it is a good powerful engine for game making, however it can be apparent which engine was used simply by playing a game made in it.
It works mostly by varied codes which can seem intimidating but aren't very complicated once you get into the swing of things. I think if I choose to do 3D I will be using Blender, however if I was ever to create a serious 3D game I would probably use the Unreal engine. I've played a few games using this, most recently the Legends of Equestria open world MLP based fan game by a large team of MLP fans.
It looked almost professional and I was very impressed with the capability of that engine.


Next up I will review more on the potentials of the Unreal engine. Once I've desided which style of game I want to make I will dig deeper into the tools necessary. For now I am going to look into 2D gaming using a completely different story concept.

A while back I created a game for college based on my character the Neb Bear.
It was a basic idea for an iso game (iPhone or Android game) featuring Neb playing on a subtle environmental message. The objective was to fly through the sky on a balloon avoiding toxic clouds and.. snails.


Using a similar concept I will revamp the previous sprites, plus creating new characters and story plots relevant to my projects philosophical theme.


Bibliography

http://www.deadcyborg.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/gombabacsi
http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-279447.html
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?279447-The-art-collector-Game-(Als-Honours)/
http://blendernpr.org/the-art-collector-demo-alpha-1/
http://www.blenderartist.org/forum/showthread.php?304578-The-Art-Collector
http://www.legendsofequestria.com/team
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3D:_Flickies'_Island
http://www.indiedb.com/engines/blender-game-engine/reviews
http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/5276/udk-or-blender

No comments:

Post a Comment