Saturday, 3 May 2014

Game Engine Research continue

Now to check out some more games from the Unreal engine plus game maker, then the 2D possibilities of Blender.

So first off I search for a list of games made on Unreal and checked out a few.
The first on my list is Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler Green.


I've looked at a few different reviews and it seems the programmers didn't quite fix all the bugs before releasing the game. The aim hasn't been calibrated very well and the weapons don't always act how they should. The zombies aren't very responsive it seems and just from looking at it I can see there is nothing there that really stands out as a good game. While looking for tip to make a good ISO game I found this blog which explains the most important element to a successful game is the controls. It doesn't matter how good the graphics are or even how original the game play is, it's all about the controls.

I've played a few games in my time and I have to agree it's all about the controls.
That being said, how does an Unreal made game fair on a console with controversial controls?

RED STEEL - WII U

Red Steel (2006) was one of the first games released on the Nintendo Wii made to show of the capabilities of the controls, but from the looks of this poster, it's not going to be a very good game..
Generally if any media feels they must resort to using a sexy lady to promote their product, they must not be very confident in the product alone. Using the female body in promotion taps mans most primitive instincts and is kind of a cheep move.. anyway.

Apparently Red Steel runs on a highly modified version of the Unreal Engine 2 but doesn't quite show the graphic potential of the engine. Reviewers compared Red Steel to the likes of GoldenEye 007 (1997) for the N64 or PS1. This isn't the fault of the game engine however, so I feel perhaps it's due to the capabilities of the Wii. The controls are said to be as expected with the Wii, which is to say that they work, but they feel rather pointless. Whenever one plays Wii games, one can't help but think how much more enjoyment you'd probably receive had it been available on a regular game pad.

As the the engine itself, I checked out some reviews, looked at some demonstrations and think it would be a really nice engine to work with. Most of the materials and physics are already available for you and, as far as game engines go, it doesn't look to perplexing to engage.
The only reason I'm not going to use it is because of its price.. it has one.

Blender is free and for an art project I think I'm best sticking with something that doesn't cost me.
If I ever get the opportunity to create a serious title, then I think Unreal is the engine for me.


Although I'm pretty sure I'm going to use Blender, I will check out what Game Makers been doing since I last used it. I've played around with Game Maker a couple of times and have made various prototypes, one being the ISO Neb game I've talked about already, and others being just me and friends playing around with it.

My friend and class mate Iona has built an iso game with her boyfriend using Game Maker;

Top of the Tower

This shows me it's quite possible to release games as an iso using the master edition of game maker, but seeing as it's quite an expensive bit of software I think I'll pass for now.

Most games using Game Maker are exported as .exe files or uploaded to the YoYo website
http://www.yoyogames.com/showcase

There doesn't seem to be any serious titles released created on Game Maker, they're all fairly independent games, but at least I've learnt it's not restricted to 2D.


Extinction 3D is an iso made using Game Maker by sakis25games.
Though I haven't personally played it, it looks like your typical touch pad controller, shoot everything from a birds eye perspective type game. That being said it looks an awful lot like the old Grand Theft Auto games (1-2).

It clearly had a lot of inspiration from those games as the driving parts looks almost identical, plus it looks as though it controls fairly similar too. Those games were pretty awesome though and it's nice to see a similar style can be created using Game Maker.

Anyway, I have decided I want to use Blender so my research regarding games will hear by be focused on the Blender engine, games similar to the concept I'm creating (i.e the atmosphire, music, etc)

I like the 2D Neb Bear game concept I was playing with, but game building takes a long time and as we only have 5 weeks left, I really just want to get into it, so I'm going to go with the 3D game idea and save the Neb game for another project.



Bibliography:
http://www.reigndesign.com/blog/what-do-all-top-selling-iphone-games-have-in-common-its-the-controls-stupid/
Land of the Dead>
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/land-of-the-dead-road-to-fiddlers-green-review/1900-6140997/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7bP-vuFSNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7oDyMe22eg
Red Steel>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8SBOMStTg4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eteoNrT_acM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrChttkOoZU
http://www.giantbomb.com/red-steel-2/3030-22361/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/11/21/red-steel-review
Golden Eye 007>
http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/goldeneye-007
Unreal Engine>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hwhH7upYFE
http://pcgamingalliance.org/featured/entry/review-unreal-engine-4
http://www.moddb.com/engines/unreal-engine-3/reviews
Other>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RE4PlJn3Ck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJhOJynMc0g
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.studiosteff.topofthetower

No comments:

Post a Comment